Sunday, March 18, 2018

This day I set a bird free

When I reminisce this day back in past, I was residing in Orissa. I was a small girl then. I had adults doting on me. One of them got me a parrot because I liked them flying in the sky. More than me, people in my household played with it. It was an innocent little bird in a small cage. They got it guavas and chillies. The parrot used to speak for first few days while people pulled its tail. But after some days, it stopped that. It just turned around to attack anyone pulling its tail. Then as the days passed, the parrot started to lose its sheen. Everyone in the household started complaining about how unfortunate we were, that we were straddled with a useless bird. The parrot slept day in and day out. The only time it felt alive was when the other parrots cackled on their way home while flying in the sky.

Everyday I saw the parrot, I felt like it was waiting for its final death. It had lost all its fight. Everyday, I saw it I was dying inside. One day, I woke up in the morning and left the door of the cage open. But the parrot did not fly away. It just stuck to the other corner of the cage. Then one day, I wrapped by hand with a cloth and pulled the parrot out of the cage. It tried and got into the cage. Then on the third day, I just pulled the parrot out and ran away with the cage inside. The parrot could not fly back. In the morning, I just seeked out the cleaning people and asked them to take away and sell the cage.

Throughout the day, the parrot was seated on the tree. It made sounds. It flew couple of times over the place where its cage was hung. But there was nothing over there. It just remained on the tree for two days. It flew away later when it saw that it was a point of no return. Couple of days later, I found that the parrot was seated on the tree along with the other parrots. But then they all flew away.

When my family came to know about it, I was reprimanded that I do not appreciate the things people do for me. There was a sadness to the apathy of the people in my eyes but there was a satisfaction in my heart. I managed to set someone free.

I was beaten badly by my relatives who thought that I did not know the value for money. But thats a price you sometimes pay for freedom.

Freedom is everything everyone strives for. When you take away someones freedom, their bodies live but their souls die. I never captivated or allowed anyone to captivate others when I grew up.
However, out of all good deeds that I have done throughout my life, I can still look back with satisfaction and say that I had set a bird free.

1 comment: